Saturday, May 9, 2015

One Step Ahead of Darkness

Let’s face it, no where in my heart did I think I’d actually sleep last night. Granted, I only gave myself a 3 hour window to do so, yet here I am in Toronto with about two hours of sleep under my belt. I have the luxury of this darling five hour layover here but such is the way of savings. After the thirteen hour flight to Tokyo is where the true terror begins. In an hour and a half time I have to get off the giant airplane, navigate my way through the Japanese airport, find my bags (?), go through customs, return my bags to a belt (?), navigate to the domestic terminal, and board my plane to Nagoya. Easy… right? People will be waiting to pick me up in Nagoya which makes all the timing that much more critical.

That’s far away from now though. Let’s talk Toronto. Although I have been here once before, I’ve never been to the airport before. In the land of Toronto, Tim Horton is king. As a former New Englander, I understand the advertisement abuse that comes with coffee chains. I get it. Timmy boy may just be more prevalent than the double D’s here.

Something I’ve found to be alarming at YYZ, is Blondie. Yea, the musical artist. You know the song ‘The Tide is High?’ The one where Blondie constantly reminds us all that she will be our number one? Yea, that one. Well, I’ve heard it twice in the three hours I’ve been here so far. Once, forgivable. Twice, a crime. Three times? My own personal hell. For you Blondie lovers out there, I’m not hating on your girl - just questioning my sleepless sanity.

Despite the questionable music choices, YYZ has been treating me well. My current set up borderlines on god tier. I’m going to attempt to add a photo to this post to show it. My phone and laptop are charging, I have a marble table to work on, the internet, a bar in eye view, and a complimentary iPad and credit card reader which allows me to order drinks without moving and have them delivered right to me. Isthisreallife? Best five hour layover or BEST five hour layover? I’m so tired.

My proficiency at people watching has made me start questioning my integrity. I’m going to chalk it up to being extremely tired, but maybe I’m a terrible person? Nah, probably not. It is entertaining though. That's all.

The title of this entry is actually pretty neat concept someone mentioned to me. Since I left right at sun rise, have this long layover, am traveling far west, and arrive at 6:00 PM (Saturday) - it’s like I’m running from the darkness. During this day(s) of traveling, it's going to be like I’m one step ahead of the night the entire way. It’s just one of those things to think about when you have all the time in the world to think.

PRAISE THE SUN!

4 comments:

  1. The beer makes the picture perfect. Photos are the heart of a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I foresee the majority of future posts having pictures, right now it's choosing which picture to use.

      Delete
  2. That was quite a travel experience.
    You handled it expertly.
    Hope you got some rest & food !!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete